Self defense and mma

I never really took MMA as a self-defense outlet; you see I grew up with two brothers so I always knew how to throw a punch. However, I see so many women who live worried about not being able to defend themselves or been attacked my larger opponents in real life. Recently one of my awesome readers reached out to me about self-defense and what would be our best moves as women in an attack or rape situation; she was told about armbars, which are strolling the internet as one as the most famous jiu-jitsu/judo moves, but as a women in a danger situation such as that, would it be our #1 easiest go-to move?
First and for most, REMEMBER NEVER TO EXPOSE YOURSELF, regardless of your training, if you see an opening run and don’t try to be a she-hero. Your safety is the most important factor on the outcome of a live danger situation… Second, there are a lot of things to consider in such a situation rather than your comfy MMA gym, the attacker is someone violent, that may be armed and we don’t really know where this may lead; avoid fist fights or exposing yourself to counter attacks, if hitting is A MUST, go for the genitals (seriously), if its inevitable kick or punch the balls of the attacker, this would give you seconds to run away. And obviously always use common sense; don’t go out alone at night or into dangerous neighborhoods, even people with years of MMA experience know that its best to be careful and avoid a confrontation than to have to use your skills in the streets.
HAVING SAID THAT lets jump into subject. The techniques that you will mostly use in a violent-rape situation are as follows:
THE ARMBAR.
An armbar is great and easy if you start from a top position, if you’re in a bottom position it could be done as well but in my personal opinion if I was being attacked I’m not sure it would be my first option because the best outcome of an armbar is a broken or dislocated arm and that may not stop a guy on some scenarios. Yet, it might be useful to stop bullies or even a girl opponent; I leave it to your consideration.
Say we start as at close guard position you being on the bottom, as if you were being attacked, you would have to struggle to secure the arm and pass your leg over the head to achieve the position, if struggling with someone stronger, it will be difficult to achieve.
An arm drag may help you get out of the  under position but then you would still have to reposition your self for the armbar.
THE TRIANGLE /TRIANGLE CHOKE.
This would be my GO TO technique speaking about a violent-rape situation. Starting in the same guard position. Lets say your opponent is on top trying to strangle you (as in the first image shows), you breath and you take control, firstly closing your guard (image 2) locking your legs with your ankles. Now, you would think this is an uncomfortable position as a girl, and it is, but this will help you get out of that situation.
28045-1 28046-1
Next, you only have to take one of your legs over your attackers shoulder and lock your anckles again, yes this is a more uncomfortable position yet, it would most likely be allowed by your attacker if his intentions are to rape you as it is easier to achieve from such position. Always pull his face downward to avoid him hitting you in the face.
Once your Ankles are lock it’s important to take hold of the arm of your oponent oposite to the shoulder where your leg is over (if your leg is on top of his right shoulder you are going to take his  left arm and pull it to his right side). As the second and third image below shows.
28047-1 28048-1 28049-1
Once you have reached this position you are going to take hold of your ankle and lock it underneath your oposit legs knee, its gonna be a tight squeeze so you can move your hips to the side for you to reach that small space under your knee.
28050-1 28051-1
Once you have closed your triangle you are only going to squeeze with all your might,  pulling your locked leg down and holding with both your hands his head towards your belly, this will finally put your opponent to sleep which will help you escape. Make sure once he is OUT you hold the triangle for 3-5 additional seconds so that he doesn’t wake up immediately and give you time to escape.
WHY IS JIU-JITSU A MORE REALISTIC SELF-DEFENSE OUTLET THAN OTHER MARTIAL ARTS?
As a girl it is unlikely you will K.O. your opponent with one punch, most of the times the fights go to the ground, especially if it’s someone bigger than you. The benefits of jiu-jitsu are not only that you can learn to control a larger heavier opponent than you, but that you can easily start from a bottom position and escape, submit or put your opponent to sleep.
Last but not least, BE CAREFUL, don’t allow yourself to become a victim, TRAINN YOUR CARDIO, if you are not to make jiu-jitsu of a regular activity at least make sure you are strong enough to pull off the techniques in this post and remember; in dangerous situation,  the most important outcome is your wellbeing.
Thanks to all the girl readers out there who are taking a step into jiu-jitsu, especially to my friend Chloe; it’s because of you that I write this blog.
Advertisements

29 thoughts on “Self defense and mma

1. Jen says:

Hi Hannia!

From your other article, I thought this was a food forum!! Keep these coming through if you can. But I read this article, which was and would not really have been my cup of tea (although I think self defense is important), and this is superb and very inspirational. I read it again a second time. And the triangle / triangle choke with the steps and details seems very practical and useful, given that potential situation. Will definitely check that out. It seems to make sense too, with the legs as I know from my gym and circuit days, a female’s legs are very strong and there is not much different from a male’s.

Just a comment, on the first move, the arm bar even though you mention may not be the best and first choice of options, can you also show the photos and steps like you did in the triangle? I can’t really picture or see how that would work so it would be good if you can do that later on as well. I love what you showed on the Triangle but a second and another move would be good and another option.

I think lots of sisters and babes, girls would appreciate your work and efforts. And as mentioned, if you can do more foods and treats in the future that would be cool too 🙂

Take care babe, and you must be one hip chick!

Jen xx

• hanniazavala says:

Hi Jen!

Thanks for taking the time to comment on the post, Its great to know my reader’s opinions or what they want to read a little more about in the blog. I’ll be more than happy to work on a armbar post 🙂 to make it a little more detailed and include some Pro Tip’s as well.
      Keep the good vibes coming!!
      Love.
      Hannia.

2. Jen says:

Thanks a lot Hannia, a pleasure to comment and grateful for your revert. That would be brilliant if you could. I can have a look elsewhere for the arm bar but I will stay with you and wait for your post. I will definitely try and practice want to learn the triangle as I can see and feel more how it can be really effective and practical. There is a male friend that can help me out even though his background is taekwondo, and maybe another female friend who expressed an interest in martial arts many years ago, I can talk to her to give it a try and join us too.

I know I am and will not be an expert or anything, but there is a possibility maybe in the future i can take up a martial art (jujitsu / mma looks quite appealing) but in mind to self defence and gaining more confidence too. Just want to try and have a positive mindset. When one things about being attacked, and in worse, heaven forbid something like rape attempt, everything and anything no matter what level of profiency, could be helpful and more than someone that is not like this, in frame of mind too and not wanting to be a victim. This is also important.

And let’s face it, say with the triangle move you described that is also freaking cool too 🙂 The move and technique I can see it working and being able to hold out. I imagine if locked in and in that position, you squeeze, pull his head in what about my body/hips on the other side, I lift and push in towards him the other way right? I’m just thinking from a flow point of view haha! Maybe I have no idea and have got this completely wrong, and it is a simple squeeze!

Being able to choke out someone, a guy is he deserved it and knowing and having a skill like that. And that is like one move! Imagine the possibilities and non limits with others! Yes, please do the arm bar and any others in future if you have any more. Like what you said about pro tips 🙂

And that’s what your blog (still love the foodie stuff ^^) is excellent at even though I was not really interested at martial arts in general, the self defence element is worth taking a look and thinking about, and that can lead to me and say other girls taking it up in time. That is inspirational Hannia.

Jen xx

• Beatrice Thomas says:

Hey girls!

Hi Hannia (Jen too, I read your posts), this is a excellent and superb article and post. I can relate to a lot of it and what you say is really true. This can and does work, the techniques you described and is really good to know.

It does and may seem to many not familiar with say jujitsu and being on your back, the guard/mount position with someone / a guy between your legs or on top of you. But to the practitioner this is what they are used to, a common untrained girl (or guy for that matter) on the street would not so. I did and practiced jujitsu (/mma the larger part) for about just over 2 years when I was working in London a decade ago. It was then not so well known and popular than I imagine the way it is today and how it has grown.

I can tell you that it really does work and reading the article and tips brought back so many good memories 🙂 With the training, the great and helpful people, fun and laughs I had. The grappling is so realistic and what it is about in terms of say self defense and most cases it can and will get to this stage. I cannot punch or really strike (it’s not a strength and unlike Hannia, who can it seems), and against a mostly larger guy trading blows and striking is not the best option I think. But on the ground you got good technique and fighting spirit, you can target limbs and joints, choke them out or do damage. That is the beauty of this in that a smaller opponent can defeat a larger one.

Even though I stopped learning and training those many years ago (mainly due to moving and new location no decent clubs to consider), I still know and remember nearly, if not all the moves! Seriously. Jen, maybe more for you, as Hannia seems pretty efficient and good, knows her stuff and this sport, but me say, just those over 2 years it was and will be part of me, it really can be efficient and useful. Give you best example say over a year ago at a friend’s BBQ with a few people, some of the guys, male friends who knew I trained it it yonks back wanted me to grapple with one or two of them as a challenge fight.

Believe me, I am up for most things, but really not my style to challenge and rise to the bait. I just did not want to roll around on them on the floor, but cos I was not confident of beating them. I was! But in the end (they are just good decent guys) I said I would agree a demo in controlled environment. I showed the rear naked choke, arm bar and triangle, and each time both guys (who weighed about 30 to 50 pounds more than me) tapped out to submission. And they were legit as well, one commented on the rear naked choke he could feel he was going to go out and the other one on the arm bar said afterwards he felt his elbow / arm was going to snap and break! The guys were impressed but more so, so were the girls watching.

As a young girl I was bullied at school (nothing physical but the teasing and mental trauma is worse in my opinion) so I was not a confident person growing up, but in adulthood my life changed from physical sports like hockey, netball (the camaraderie with the girls is awesome) and some tennis, and then gym and kick boxing, my female colleague at the time convinced me to go to the jujitsu classes with her. And have never looked back since even though I stopped practicing it, I will always be grateful that I spent some time and learnt.

And seeing the triangle steps and pics, it is exactly how that is and what one can do:) I am not a fighter etc, or can really fight or punch even, as I say. But I like to think that I am positive and confident and that it can help and I have a chance in an event that I am attacked. I am a grounded, level headed kind of person, hence it’s hard to be me to be pro aggressive and attack minded. But give me an opportunity, and a guy or girl being over confident with me (my technique is okay), when I get it locked in, I would say that I would beat them and they have to submit. And I know if you repeat and repeat with any technique working on, practice, dedication and hours, you and everyone could be so proficient and deadly that the moves, and way to get into positions to finish become more second nature. Get a guy to jump on you and in a situation, you would feel more better place to handle, and you should be empowered which is what it is about!!

Give it a go if you fancy it, and / or look at other martial arts to see which may suit you better. But I am with Hannia on this in this context of jujitsu (MMA encompasses everything available), the 2 moves she mentioned are super ones to consider and learn, have a target to work with. She is also right on the cardio and fitness part too, can also be great work out and burning calories, staying in shape so that is also a great incentive and bonus too

All the best to you and everyone that has interests and wants to follow and be inspired by this philosophy. I don’t know who Chloe is and what article she and Hannia were talking about. But it’s okay 🙂

Roll on ~~ (Hannia would know what this is)

B x

3. Zac says:

Are you sure all this will work??! No disrespect but you are girls and I can’t see this working at all. I and the guys would just power out of it, pick you up from the floor and hurt you. I would probably just slap you. Sorry to be blunt!

• hanniazavala says:

Well that’s the magic of jiujitsu zac, it shows you to control and submit larger opponents quite easily. With a little more of mma basics you can defend yourself pretty well.

• Zac says:

Well to be frank, I don’t think you girls can really fight, and even though I am not trained, I don’t think you could beat me. Or it would be even close. I await the backlash but that is what I believe in. And I am not mentioning my weight advantage, I am around 170, 5’9. I don’t want to be rude and insult your lady readers in here. I am even that confident that if I did not swing wide punches, and we wrestled, you would not be able to beat or submit me.

• hanniazavala says:

Hey Zac,

First off, welcome to the Blog we appreciate to have male readers as well I am glad to have an inside on a guy’s mind; positive, negative or neutral comments are always welcomed it helps us grow and become stronger, so don’t worry about the backlash I bet we can take it. Make sure to leave your comments regardless of what the content is, if they come in a respectful manner they will be published.

Second, on a street fight with a guy equally strong and equally trained as you, you have a 50% chance of winning such a fight (lucky shot, more experience, more tolerance to pain, etc) but if we are talking about “Guy VS Girl”, probably the odds would be 90% VS 10% and that’s exactly what personal defense does (more specifically Jiu-jitsu, Judo and MMA), it evens the odds so that a less trained guy with superior strength is equally matched against a smaller opponent with better technique. Let me put you an example: my husband is a 215 Pound guy, professional in Muay Thai and MMA, HE IS BIG and has being doing this for 4 years. Whenever I stand up with him and fight him, he would kick my ass in a fist fight, but if we are doing MMA and simulate a street fight (215 pound guy, who lifts weights and trains MMA 4 times a week), I have a 25% chance of getting him to tap regardless of his physic. What do you think are my odds are against a guy with no experience in MMA or training martial arts who thinks his strength is his most powerful tool?

And last but not least, that’s exactly the reason why we girls should train Zac, so that odds are evened out when we HAVE TO stand up and fight and winning is a matter between your well been or not. I bet you would like your sister, girlfriend or daughter to have the tools against an attacker so that her chances of coming out of it triumphant are bigger, wouldn’t you?

Thanks for your comments they are all appreciated and please, make sure you keep coming back.

PRO TIP 1:
        About your comment on lifting up and slamming a girl. You close the triangle and pull your hips away from him, this will give you space to utilize your feet and spread one of the attacker’s legs; this will stop him from standing up and eventually putting him to sleep. Took me 1 year to be able to do it, but it works every time. Hubees worst nightmare

PRO TIP 2:
        If for whatever reason you succeed in lifting me up and attempt to slam me I will tock my chin to my chest to avoid a KO once you slam my triangle will close even harder… you go to sleep faster

PRO TIP 3:
        Keeping my guard up and letting you through a couple of punches then going for a double is all I need to have my opponent on the ground.

4. Kel says:

Zac, you are very disrespectful, your tone and manner, if I may be so frank and blunt. And fair play to Hannia for making the time and effort to allow you in her blog (you may be a deliberate troll), and responding back in a way more than civilized and decent manner. Unlike you, and some of the things you worded are way out of order. I think. And am sure many other ladies would think too. Stuff like picking them up, slapping them, girls can’t be guys you are stating. Well, I’m with the women on this one! Well I am not an expert and practitioner but from reading what the girls say, I can be convinced and see the merit of what they say and describe. Plus as one mentioned outside the serious and practical aspect, it must be so cool to be able to do that 🙂 Those moves!! My money would be on them over you any day and I think you may be a bit scared that a smaller female can beat you in this art and style, and that is not unreasonable. You do not really expect that they cannot get you to tap? Being put to sleep or having a limb broken or damaged? I think you and many over confident and arrogant guys would.

It makes sense and I would say there is definitely a chance that they girls can win (not saying they always will). These girls are very inspirational, and the confidence I can feel they have and are trying to install in others. Great job ladies!!

Kel

5. Beatrice Thomas says:

Zac, you are not for real are you??. People like that really do not help and I agree with the last poster about your flippant attitude. Hope you can handle any backlash! I feel you are deliberately stirring trouble!

Hannia, great riposte babe : ) and even though I would probably not have let him in here, well answered and reasoned!! You are absolutely correct. Your scenario and description of chances and what can happen. Well done to you if you really can tap your hubby you described, and 25%, 1 in 4 chance that is really really good. And maybe you are being modest and humble and the chances are higher and could be more in time with more practice. And if that is like with someone LIKE him, imagine the chances increased with your average and normal guy? Zac and any other disrespectful and non supportive males out there.

Jujitsu and this stuff really can and does work. As does judo, mma, other martial arts, forms of self defense can help and are all useful. Mentioned last time when I showed my friends some moves, the 2 guys. When locked in the arm bar as an example on your best technique (and this is an example of skill that girls can do and learn), they really cannot get out of it if done fully properly. Ask Ronda Rousey (look it up if you don’t know who she is) or any able practitioner. You really need to experience it to be able to know and feel it. The male doubters I think have no idea what it feels like!! And then the control and leverage comes into it. I had his arm straight locked in holding in position secure with his elbow against my hips. My friend would not tap yet as he was not in any discomfort, and I explained if I arched my hips slowly (this was a demo so not to hurt him and have injuries) he would feel the pain and to tap straight away – no heroes and tough guy bravado acts here. So I gently reminded him 🙂 with it and he was then slapping my leg so fast tapping and I let him go straight away.

Zac, if Hannia, I or any able girl had you like that, you would be in the same position. In competition if someone does not submit when they should they can get quite hurt. Again it is not to show off the moves, be overconfident or like that. But shows you what can happen and be done. I have not done any of these moves or done this for nearly 10 years but it is still fresh in my mind and although I am rusty, I like to think that I could put up a fight and be able to protect myself if I have to. It is such a feel good feeling and factor and I would recommend this, or anything similar to people’s fancy and give it a go and try, it can benefit heaps. But I agree with Hannia, in that situation and potential dangerous position, triangle is much better. But the more you learn and are interested, the better. And in a bad situation (as the topic is mainly about this which readers may want to know and ask about) you have to trust in your conviction and follow through what you think is best…as you cannot be hesitant over it. I would have no qualms about choking someone out putting them to sleep or breaking a potential rapist’s arm if I had to. There would be no tap in a scary and troublesome situation like that. I’m going and would go out all out! As I know I and any girl would be in trouble if say a guy really smacks you. You have to use and do what you can and know and if it means like that, you have to do it girl. That is my philosophy.

Jen and any other similar girls (and guys) out there, ignore the doubters and idiots. Keep being positive and inspired. Am sure Hannia will show you the moves you may want to know more about and keep answering your questions. Even to learn and see something completely different, is all valuable and worth it. Have an open and fresh mind. Just new and another perspective also. I hope you all keep going and being confident, growing and inspired. Big thumbs up.

B x

• Zac says:

Beatrice, and Hannia for that matter (assuming that this and my future posts get through!). I may take time to come back in here and write more lengthy and I do not mean to stir but I think you are deluded!!! You would NOT put me to sleep (I will go to sleep faster, er, I don’t think so) and you would not be able to get me to tap or submit and you would not be able to break my arm. I would just power out of it, and I will try to avoid smacking you hard if I had to.

You contradict yourself too, I get what you say about your husband and you reckon 1 in 4 chance. And then later on in the pro tip, you said hubbee worse nightmare?? So which is it, are you sure it is not 1 in 40 you have a chance of beating him and guys. Now dont get me wrong, I am not that much bigger than the average female but we are guys and we have the male testosterone and drive that would smash all women and females. I just can’t see how you can win say, unless you got a lucky shot and I was not really trying my best.

Again, not to antagonise and have a go at you. However I do see where and what you say about mums, sisters, gfs, wives etc. But think overall it is very hard for girls to beat guys physically.

Anyway, Merry Christmas!

• Zac says:

Well, it’s good then if we fought and I were to attack you, I would not punch you then!! That’s why you if in a situation like that, you would not even get a chance to do your special so called moves and training.

6. Chloe Yip says:

Hannia, thank you so much – You even mention my name in the article!! Which I read and loved (I think I have to read and digest it a few times as well, but it’s cool).

Merry Christmas to you and your family, hope you are enjoying the holiday season :). Lots of laughs, wine, fun, socialising and gatherings. Keep up the fab work

Take care
    Chloe x

• hanniazavala says:

Thank you Chloe!!! I love being able to interact with my reader’s, know what they like and answer your questions, keep in touch girl!!
      Happy holidays, I hope you enjoy this time with your loved ones as well.
      Hannia

• Chloe Yip says:

Hi Chloe 🙂
        Love your work and attitude, a real inspiration. You really do kick ass, mentally and physically. You go babe! You sure told that guy, I admire and look up to the way you can handle and respond like that. Thankfully you have got your fellow supporters too, they are on your side and can associate with you. Anyway, I look forward to your future tutorials and articles. Like your description and piccies. Happy 2015 – I wish and hope you have a fabulous year ahead with your family and love ones. Chloe x

7. Zac says:

Hannia, notice that you have stopped allowing my comments through now? I just replied to one of your “supporters” – will you allow this on there to reply to either by you, her or anyone else? What do you think since your last post

• hanniazavala says:

Hi Zac I’m sorry to tell you that I’m not really here to convince you otherwise, I’m just here doing my thing and blogging about it. Some may catch something they can use and others may disagree about it, that’s the beauty of freedom of speech.
      If you’re ever in Mexico visit my gym and we’ll figure it out in the mat. 🙂

• Zac says:

Well if we “rolled” I’ll try and not hurt you, and maybe give you a chance to win. I could not go full out. I will even hold back from slapping you, it will be a good work out for both of us and maybe you could teach and show me your moves

8. Beatrice Thomas says:

Zac, you are an ass!! Can’t believe I have just seen this. Hurting, slapping, your disgraceful tone! I would love to juji-gatame you, and then watch your reaction when you squeal. Would your ego be able to handle that, submitting to a girl? You would tap and the same to Hannia. She is class in that she did not smash you back (you could that literally to you) and even allowed you and your comments in here! At least be a bit constructive and not an d*ck! People like you, sooooo do not help. And we don’t mean to sound moany and bitchy but it’s guys like you that hold back girls that want to learn. I don’t even practise anymore but I still reckon I could take you, never underestimate some people. You would not even see it coming and any girl with good skill, technique and perseverance, could beat you. And in reality in at attack situation I meant what I said previously – if it was ever warranted, I would have no issue having to break an attacker’s arm or whatever from skills I know I could apply. But the best retort is still Hannia (you rock, hun!), “If you’re ever in Mexico visit my gym and we’ll figure it out in the mat :)”

Any girls out there, please don’t be put off if you are really interested and thinking of taking up and having a go. It does not and have to be like the tone a few of us have got into (Zac, I don’t expressing myself like that back to you), it’s a super thing to get into. Think from the blog Hannia would keep posting articles and showing some moves, so you can get a good idea if you are a complete newbie and hear the thoughts and views of anyone that contributes. Give it a try!

9. Zac says:

Ah, you are all back, you were quiet for so long! Beatrice, you are forgetting 1 thing, I am stronger than you and would bust out of your moves whatever they are. You put me in them, I will just power out of it. If a guy were on top of you, he would probably grab you round the throat or if were badass may slap you round a bit. My arm and neck would be stronger than your holds. You would be in a bit of trouble. And Hannia, you started replying before, your so call experience with guys, but you have not since responded? Very detailed then about me going to sleep faster etc. Changed your mind now have we. Let’s hear you technically and your thoughts on getting out. And what is jujigtame, something like paper folding? You’re gonna tell me you are good and can do that too right

• hanniazavala says:

Ah Zack… they say one is not a true rockstar untill you get haters… I would love to visit you at your parents basement to teach you a lesson, hell I’ll bring my Muay Thai as well if jujitsu isn’t cool enough for you. But then again we all have different beliefs and we respect them, so kudos for being such a troll and don’t forget to share the post 🙂

10. H-A-B says:

Brilliant blog post Hannia!

I have been teaching Krav Maga to women and girls for over 5 years and we teach a very effective technique which I feel should should be in every woman and girls arsenal. We are a women only event, run by women, for women, and this is the extremely effective technique what we teach to women of all ages.

The technique is the “groin grab” self defense technique which is to be used against a male attacker, which is now taught in many womens self defense classes, and there is actually a little trick to it…

To execute this technique, you’re going to take your hand and quickly grasp between the attackers thighs underhand. Its going to feel like you’re “cradling” the testicles. Quickly grab them and dig your fingertips into the fragile skin BEHIND the scrotum. Then, once you have a good grip, you turn your hand into a vice, with your fingers digging inwards, around the back and over the top of the testicles. If you do it right, you should feel the testes INSIDE your hand which is holding the scrotum. You want, whenever possible, to hook your fingers over and around at least one testicle. One of them is enough.

Then, with your hands in a claw and your fingertips latched around the testes, you turn your hand sharply, as though you were turning a doorknob. Simultaneously, squeeze hard and pull the testicles away from his body as fast and as hard as you can. DO NOT LET GO OF THEM. This is important. What happens then, is that your assailant usually screams out in pain and then tries to grab the wrist of your hand holding him in a futile attempt to try to get you to release him. Don’t. He then quickly loses one of the natural advantages he usually has over us (his strength) within a matter of seconds. Vomiting, curling over, collapsing and convulsing is common. Shock and unconsciousness can set in within 8 seconds. If he initially starts to fight back then you tuck your head in and keep squeezing his testicles until he faints. This only takes a matter of seconds. When he collapses, which he will, you get away to safety as quickly as possible and call for help.

It’s never too late to perform this technique at any stage of an attack, and that even includes the option of reaching down if he’s on top of you, but it is easiest to do when the testicles are exposed and closest to you where you can grab hold of them. I’ve actually met several women in my life who have fought off their attackers in this way and one did it when her attacker was on top of her and raping her at the point he lost control. Don’t ever hold back. Some women scream while they are doing this, and some women think of a loved one being harmed to help overcome any bad feelings of hurting someone else even if they are being hurt themselves. Do whatever you have to do if you feel it helps.

If done properly, and done with enough force, this technique can even lead to the testicles rupturing. It’s actually easier to do than most women believe, and just about all of us have the capability to injure an attackers testicles in this way – whether we are young girls still of school age, or whether we are great grandmothers. We, as women have no part of our bodies as vulnerable as a mans testicles. After all, if you think about it testicles are just small objects of extreme vulnerability to pain squishiness wrapped in a delicate layer of skin which offers them no protection at all from this kind of counterattack by a woman. Most importantly, this fact holds true no matter what size your attacker is, nor how strong he is. And no matter how angry he is, and how much he’s threatened what he’s going to do to you, he’s going to drop. Don’t let anyone (usually men who are very uncomfortable with thoughts of women beating them in combat) try to convince you otherwise.

I once worked with a group of Somali women who informed me that grandmothers, mothers, and daughters between generations shared this powerful method of fighting off men. They even have a name for it in Somalia and they call the move “Qworegoys”. They were surprised that women in the West didn’t seem to share this information as much as they expected, and even more surprised that most women didn’t even seem aware of this technique.

I know that this advice would have been a difficult read for many Women, but our lives are worth far more than a rapists testicles and we should be prepared to do whatever it takes to get away to safety. Please help to share this advice with as many other women and girls in any way you can. It could one day be a life saver.

11. H-A-B says:

Hi Hannia!

• hanniazavala says:

Hi H-A-B! Thank you for sharing that technique with us, I Think its great that you teach women and girls specifically!!! I think its great that you explained it very detailedly, it gave me a pretty clear idea of how its supossed to be done. I would love to try Krav maga some time and write about it as well, theres a lot that women can learn to protect them selves, regardles of what they do or where they live. Thank you again for sharing this with us, its great that you empower women to do this and learn as well, maybe we could look into doing a collaboration so you cant tell us more about what you teach your student’s.